Stunning coastline, thick forests and some of the best experiences in urban America highlight this 10-day road trip that hugs the Pacific Coast and spans three states. Visitors will watch the coastal scenery change quickly as they move north – from rocks to sand dunes and pine forests. They’ll be charmed by diverse wildlife and impressed by multiple illustrations of American ingenuity.
Day 1 – San Francisco
- Arrive in San Francisco.
- Overnight at Holiday Inn or Doubletree in Fremont or San Francisco.
Day 2 – San Francisco
- Get a guided tour of San Francisco – including the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, Fisherman’s Wharf and City Hall.
- Visit the California Academy of Science.
- Take an exhilarating cruise on San Francisco Bay.
- Time for shopping.
Day 3 – San Francisco-Eureka
- Take in scenic and historic Highway 101, through wine country, a rocky coast and into redwood forests.
- Overnight at Holiday Inn Express or Red Lion Inn.
- Approximately 436 km drive to Eureka.
Day 4 – Eureka – North Bend
- Visit Redwood National and California Parks and see massive old-growth forests.
- Proceed up the breathtaking southern Oregon coast to North Bend, Ore.
- Take in Gold Beach, a perfect blend of solitude and adventure.
- Overnight at Holiday Inn.
- Approximately 350 km drive.
Day 5 – North Bend – Newport
- Proceed north to Florence and then on to Newport, a stunning fishing town on Oregon’s central coast.
- Enjoy orientation tours of both cities.
- Free time along the way for dune buggy rides or go-karting!
- Overnight at Best Western.
- Approximately 136 km drive.
Day 6 – Newport – Portland
- Visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, which houses a variety of seabirds, marine mammals, fish and native plants.
- Make your way over the Coast Range through the Willamette Valley wine country and into Portland, Oregon’s largest city.
- Overnight at Springhill Suites.
- Approximately 197 km drive to Portland.
Day 7 – Portand-Multnomah Falls
- Tour Portland – the Rose City.
- Explore Portland’s eclectic neighborhoods, Powell’s Books, downtown’s Pioneer Place shopping district or check out the many attractions in Portland and surroundings.
- Enjoy sales tax-free shopping.
- Visit Multnomah Falls, a 611-foot roaring cascade of icy water.
Day 8 Portland-Olympia-Seattle
- Stop off in Olympia and visit the Washington state Capitol.
- Overnight at Ramada Inn in Kent or Hampton Inn in Seattle.
- Approximately 218 km drive to Seattle.
Day 9 – Seattle
- Tour Seattle, the largest city in the Pacific Northwest.
- Visit Chinatown and Pike Place Market, one of the oldest farmers’ markets in the United States.
- Visit the Boeing factory and get a behind-the-scenes look at airplane design.
- Enjoy the Seattle Art Museum.
Day 10 – Seattle
Return home on a flight from Seattle-Tacoma Airport.